Thursday 30 December 2010

Get your applications in to World Book Night - Deadline Tues 4th Jan!

File:BelovedNovel.jpg

Thought I'd post some of what I wrote in my application to become a book-giver on World Book Night (Sat 5th March 2011) I chose Beloved without hesitation:-

If ever anyone could harbour any illusions as to the impact of slavery, then this book will blow them cleanly and effortlessly out of the water. A beautifully eloquent book with imagery so vivid it positively burns the retina of your imagination. The song 'Strange Fruit''s immediately conjured in my mind when I think of this book and its endless pathos... I believe this book both deserves and must be read by all those wanting to feel they have experienced (if only vicariously) something of the horrors of the slave trade.

No comments: